Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Great Escape

At each convention, Creation Entertainment features fan made videos that have been submitted by attendees of the con as part of a Fan Video contest. After my first DallasCon in 2013, I wanted to try my hand at it. It'd be totally fun! I knew exactly which song I wanted to use. Unfortunately, I had zero clue about how to even make a video. So, DallasCon 2014 came and went, and I hadn't done a single thing. Oh well, there was always next year. 

Fast forward to early 2015 when Jared launched his "Always Keep Fighting" campaign. The outpouring of support for the cause and the stories shared by the fans were incredibly moving and inspirational. And I realized that the song I had chosen over a year ago for my still-to-be-made video fit perfectly. With that in mind, making a video wasn't just about putting together some clips because I thought it would be fun anymore. Now it meant something--to me, and hopefully to others who might see it. 

I spent days Googling how to make a video, and weeks putting it all together, playing it over and over and over again to make sure it was perfect. When I was finally satisfied, I sent it off to Creation and hoped for the best.

On Friday afternoon at DallasCon 2015, I watched my video play on the big screen in the convention hall. In front of the fandom. And they cheered! I still can't believe it. For me, making that video wasn't just about winning a contest. It was about sharing the message of "Always Keep Fighting"--a message that has been echoed across this fandom/family since it's launch, and one that I've held close to myself lately. 

And now, I'm sharing it with you. Pass it on. And remember to Always Keep Fighting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment